MLIS Graduate Assistantships
St. Catherine University Libraries are committed to educating library science professionals. Because of this commitment, the Libraries offer Graduate Assistantship opportunities to students currently enrolled in the St. Kate's MLIS program.
Working under the direction of St. Kate's librarian mentors, the assistantship experience will serve to expand upon knowledge gained in the classroom. Graduate assistants will gain valuable work experience with their own career goals in mind, choosing among positions in reference, special collections, technical services, or research. Assistants have gone on to find permanent jobs in academic, public, and special libraries.
All assistantship positions are awarded for one semester and require a commitment of ten hours per week. The rate of pay is $12 per hour and positions do not include tuition remission or benefits.
- Must be currently enrolled in the MLIS program at St. Catherine University
- Must have completed these required core courses:
LIS 7010 Introduction to Library and Information Science
LIS 7030 Organization of Knowledge
LIS 7040 Reference and Online Services
- Must submit a current St. Kate's transcript (unofficial is acceptable) or grade report
- Must commit to one full semester as an assistant
- Must abide by departmental policies and the student employment policies established in the St. Kate's Student Employment Handbook
- Must meet periodically with mentor to provide regular updates on progress made toward learning goals established at the start of the assistantship