Archives and Special Collections
Presidential Records Graduate Assistant
The Archives and Special Collections has an opening for a graduate assistant to work with records from the Office of the President. Students currently enrolled in the University's library science master's program are eligible to apply.
The funding for this position is provided by a donor interested in archival digitization and preservation. The rate of pay is $12 per hour, and graduate assistants work 10 hours per week. The position is expected to run until May 2014, although time will not be scheduled during the summer.
About the Archives
The University Archives, in the lower level of the St. Paul campus library, documents the history of St. Catherine University. It includes administrative and departmental records (correspondence, meeting minutes, reports, and other documents); university, student, and alumnae publications; faculty writings; photographs; and artifacts (memorabilia, travel souvenirs, dishware, etc.).
The donor-funded Presidential Records project will digitize and make available online the records and other materials of the first 9 presidents of St. Catherine, from Sr. Antonia McHugh to Anita Pampusch. Together, these materials comprise approximately 20 feet of documents.
The graduate assistant will be responsible for all aspects of the project, from selection and digitization to ingestion, editing, and metadata creation. Tasks this assistant will be assigned include:
- Identify appropriate materials to be included in the project
- Digitize documents, bound volumes, and oversize items using appropriate specifications
- Prepare digitized documents for ingestion into CONTENTdm
- Work with the archivist and cataloger to learn the basics of metadata creation
- Import, edit, and create metadata for objects in CONTENTdm
- Transcribe handwritten and poor quality typewritten documents
- Current enrollment in the Library and Information Science program at St. Kate's
- Completion of the core courses LIS 7010, 7030, and 7040 by December, 2012
- Good communication and computer/technical skills; strong attention to detail; familiarity with scanning equipment and software
- Ability to work independently and in an organized fashion toward the final product
- Experience and/or coursework in an archives/special collections setting or with digitization projects
- Knowledge of AACR2, DACS, LCSH, and/or CONTENTdm
- Completion of 7300 Cataloging and Classification, 7590 Digital Libraries, 7750 Archival Administration and Services, or 8820 Metadata for Internet Resources
- Strong interest in archives or digitization project management
Applicants must be available to work during regular business hours (9am - 4:30pm). Evening or weekend hours are not possible.
Contact Deborah Kloiber (firstname.lastname@example.org) or 651-690-6599 with questions about this assistantship.
Monday, October 15, 2012 by 5pm
A complete application should include:
- Cover letter
- Current St. Kate's grade report or transcript (unofficial is acceptable)
- At least one academic or work reference
Please submit applications to Deborah Kloiber using KatieClick.