Using the Collection
Location of the Collection
The Ade Bethune Collection is located on the St. Paul campus with the College Archives and Special Collections on the lower level of the Library in the Coeur de Catherine.
- Directions to campus
- Campus map (the Library is #19)
- Library map (the Ade Bethune Collection is located in room #62)
The Ade Bethune Collection is open a limited number of hours per week. Anyone wishing to visit the collection is strongly encouraged to make arrangements in advance, to ensure adequate staffing. Please call Deborah Kloiber at (651) 690-6599 to make an appointment to visit the collection, or send her email at email@example.com.
Use and access to the Ade Bethune Collection is restricted to the College community and those who have a legitimate purpose for using the collection, such as scholarly research. Materials in the collection do not circulate or otherwise leave the premises unless permission is given by the Curator.
Visitors to the collection are advised that archival and preservation procedures are followed with regard to the Ade Bethune Collection.
- Because of the uniqueness and value of materials in the Ade Bethune Collection, security measures are in place at all times. Researchers are required to complete a registration form and must be accompanied by a staff person at all times while using the Collection.
- Researchers may use the indexes and other finding aids provided to identify desired materials; these items will be retrieved from the collection by a staff person. The number of items requested at one time may be limited.
- For note taking, researchers may use laptop computers or paper and pencils. Pens, markers, and highlighters are not permitted in the Reading Room. We provide space to store coats, bags, and other belongings that can not be brought into the Reading Room.
- No food or drink is allowed in the Reading Room.
- Permission is required for digital cameras and other scanning devices. Use of these devices will be at our discretion.
- For preservation of items in the collection, please treat them with respect and handle all materials with extreme care. We ask researchers to not mark on or fold any pages, take notes on top of pages, or turn volumes face down on the table.
- Users should wash hands before using the collection. If hands become soiled from newsprint or other materials, please rewash hands before handling other items. Staff may require researchers to wear cotton gloves while handling some materials.
For more information, see the Library's Policy on Access to and Use of Archives and Special Collections.
Reproductions (photocopies, scanned prints, photographic prints, etc.) of materials in the Ade Bethune Collection are available at our discretion. All copying will be done by a staff member. Materials may only be reproduced if the item will not be harmed in the process and reproduction does not violate donor or copyright restrictions. Please see our Reproduction Policies and Fees for more information.
Ade Bethune gave permission for use of her artwork found in the collection at St. Catherine University, provided it meets the following criteria:
- The organization using her work is non-profit,
- No more than 10 designs are used in any one project, and
- Such publications are distributed free of charge.
She requested that a donation be given to the college library for maintenance of the collection. Please send donation and two samples of printed work using Ade's designs to: Deborah Kloiber, Ade Bethune Collection, St. Catherine University Library, 2004 Randolph Ave, St. Paul, MN 55105.
Please include the following credit with the picture used: Artwork by Ade Bethune from the Ade Bethune Collection, St. Catherine University Library, St. Paul, MN 55105.
For other uses of Ms. Bethune's work, please see our Use Policies and Fees.