Visiting Archives and Special Collections
The Archives and Special Collections is located on the lower level of the Library in the Coeur de Catherine, room 62.
10 am - 4:30 pm
Mondays to Fridays
Visitors are encouraged to make arrangements in advance, to ensure adequate staffing. Please call (651) 690-6553 or email email@example.com to make an appointment.
Using the Collections
Use and access to the Archives and Special Collections is restricted to the University community and those who have a legitimate purpose for using the collections, such as scholarly research. Materials do not circulate or otherwise leave the premises unless permission is given by the Archivist.
Visitors are advised that archival and preservation procedures are followed with regard to the collections, to help ensure they will be available to users in the future.
- Because of the uniqueness and value of materials, security measures are in place at all times. Researchers are required to complete a registration form and must be accompanied by a staff person at all times while using the Archives.
- Users should wash hands before using the collection and not apply any moisturizer or hand sanitizer. If hands become soiled from newsprint or other materials, please rewash hands before handling other items. Staff may require researchers to wear cotton gloves while handling some materials.
- For note taking, researchers may use laptop computers or paper and pencils. Pens, markers, and highlighters are not permitted in the Reading Room. We provide space to store coats, bags, and other belongings.
- For preservation of items in the collection, please treat them with respect and handle all materials with extreme care. We ask researchers to not mark on or fold any pages, take notes on top of pages, or turn volumes face down on the table.
- Researchers may use the indexes and other finding aids provided to identify desired materials; these items will be retrieved from the collection by a staff person. The number of items requested at one time may be limited.
- No food or drink is allowed in the Reading Room.
- Photocopying or scanning must be done by permission only, and at the researcher's expense. Materials may be reproduced only when such duplication can be done without injury to the material. The Archivist or Head of Technical Services will decide whether an item is too fragile to be copied.
- Permission is required for digital cameras and other scanning devices. Use of these devices will be at our discretion.
For more information, see the Library's Policy on Access to and Use of Archives and Special Collections.