A valid ID from a MnPALS Partner Library (see reciprocal borrowing privileges below) serves as the library card for students, faculty, and staff and is required to check out materials. The St. Kate's library barcode is the 14-digit number located on the back of the ID.
Loan Periods by User
|User||Books||Media||Reserves||Interlibrary loan||Annual Fee|
Faculty, Staff, Students,
initial loan: 120 days
max loan: 180 days
initial loan:21 days
max loan: 28 days
3 hours, 3 days, or 7 days
set by lender
initial loan: 28 days
max loan: 56 days
initial loan:7 days
max loan: 14 days
initial loan: 28 days
max loan: 56 days
|MnPALS walk in patrons||
initial loan: 56 days
max loan: 84 days
initial loan: 7 days
max loan: 14 days
If you lose your ID card you can obtain a replacement at Public Safety. A replacement fee may apply.
Library materials can be renewed from the date of the original loan until they reach a maximum loan period.
Items that cannot be renewed include:
- Items that have reached the maximum loan period
- Items that have been recalled by the library
- Course Reserve materials
Log into LibSearch with your St. Kate's username and password. Once you are logged in, click on your name in the right-hand corner, and go to My Library Card. You can renew items from the Loans section.
Call to Renew
Borrowing by User
Currently enrolled students of St. Catherine University have full borrowing privileges. Seniors auditing our classes have borrowing but not interlibrary loan privileges. Students from other MnPALS Partner libraries also have full borrowing privileges, as long as they have a valid ID from their own institution in hand.
Faculty, Staff, Graduate Students, and CSJs
Faculty (including adjunct), staff, currently enrolled graduate students, and Sisters of St. Joseph of Carondelet have full borrowing privileges. Must have institution ID card to check out materials.
Alumnae/i are eligible for an Alumnae/i Card with restricted borrowing privileges after filling out an application at the Circulation Desk.
Visiting Scholars are eligible for a library card with a letter of affiliation from their home institution. Borrowing privileges are restricted. Apply for a card at the Circulation Desk or by contacting the circulation supervisor at 651.690.6648. Processing these card requests may take several business days.
Neighbors of the University, defined as those living in the following zip code areas: 55105 and 55116, may purchase a Neighbor Card with restricted borrowing privileges for an annual fee of $15. Apply for the card online through the St. Catherine Marketplace. Processing these card requests may take several business days.
Loan Periods by Material Type
The loan period for most is determined by the status of the borrower.
Periodicals (including magazines, journals, and newspapers)
Periodicals may not be checked out. Special arrangements may be made through the library staff for in-classroom use or to accommodate special photocopying needs.
Reference books may not be checked out except by special permission of the library staff for in-classroom use.
The loan period for course reserve items is set by the instructor or library staff, and may be in library use only. The loan period may be 3 hours, 3 days, or 7 days. Reserves are not renewable.
Archives & Special Collections (including Ade Bethune)
Items in these collections do not circulate and may be used only under the supervision of the archives staff.
There are three different ways you can pick up your requested physical items.
- Pickup at the Library: This option can be selected when placing a request in LibSearch. Items will be held at the Circulation Desk for two weeks. You must bring your St. Kate’s ID to check out the item, and only you can check out the items you have requested.
- Mail to My Address: If you cannot make it to the Library, we are happy to mail items to your home address. This option can be selected when placing a request in LibSearch. You are responsible for return postage if you mail the item back, but you are welcome to return items in person. Please note that these requests may take an additional 2 business days for processing, and the delivery speed is dependent on USPS. We will not mail items to locations on campus, including the dorms.
- Pickup Lockers: If you cannot make it to the Library during our open hours, or someone else will need to pick up your items for you, please reply to the Library Item Ready for Pickup email and request the use of a pickup locker. We will check your items out to you, and send you a locker assignment and combination via email. You are welcome to share this pickup information with someone else, but we will only communicate directly with you due to our privacy policies. Items in pickup lockers will be returned if not picked up within two weeks. Please note that these requests may take an additional 2 business days for processing.
When an item becomes overdue, an overdue notice is automatically generated and sent to the borrower. If the item has not been returned after approximately four weeks, the item will be considered "lost," and the borrower will be billed a $65 replacement book fee or $115 replacement media or ILL fee.
Missing/lost materials (after 28 days)
$65 replacement fee for a book; $115 replacement fee for media or interlibrary loan items. Unresolved "lost" items will result in the following actions:
- Library borrowing privileges will be suspended.
- A hold will be placed on student accounts until the item is returned.
- All fees are waived if the item is returned without damage.
You may pay your replacement fees online via St. Catherine Marketplace.
Jade Erickson, firstname.lastname@example.org | 651.690.6655
Reciprocal Borrowing Privileges
St. Catherine University is a member of MnPALS (Minnesota Program for Automated Library Systems) a larger consortium with nearly 60 libraries across the state, including the Minnesota State Colleges and Universities system, community colleges, government agency libraries, private colleges and special libraries.